DIY Air Cleaner and Air Purifier Tips
We don’t often think about the air we breathe, especially inside our own homes. But every breath exposes you to dust, pollen, pet dander and other contaminants, which can be particularly harmful if you have allergies. If you have an air cleaner or air purifier, you’re already making strides to eradicate many of these airborne particles.
But with so many air cleaners and air purifiers available, finding the best one for you can be a challenge. The best place to start is to invest in a HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) filter. These filters can eliminate up to 99.97% of air particulates larger than 0.3 microns. After you start using an air filter, consider the following tips.
- Be sure to change the filter/media in your air cleaner at least once a year.
- Do not place your air filter in a crowded or obstructed area. It needs room to breathe.
- Keep windows and doors closed as much as possible, as this can make your air purifier work even harder.
If you’re looking for the best whole house air cleaner for your home, Constellation Home can help. We have a vast selection of air cleaners that will purify your air while also lowering your energy bills.
DIY Humidifier Tips
Winter months in Maryland often come with dryness in the air. A humidifier is a simple way to add moisture to dry, indoor air. With so many various humidifiers available, finding the best one for your home can be difficult. If you need help choosing one, the HVAC specialists at Constellation Home can help. Once you find the optimum humidifier for your home, check out the following tips to avoid costly maintenance in the future.
- Change the water pads in your humidifier at least once a year, at the beginning or the end of the heating season.
- Activate your humidifier during heating season and turn it off during cooling season.
- Be aware that during extremely cold weather, your home’s humidity level can drop to as low as 5%. Optimal comfort range in your home is 40-55%.
- The humidity setting may be too high if you notice condensation on the inside of your windows. Adjust it accordingly.
If you experience problems with your humidifier that you don’t feel comfortable addressing by yourself, or if you’d like to upgrade to a more energy-efficient model, contact the experts at Constellation Home. We specialize in installing whole house humidifiers to meet your needs and your budget.
DIY Carbon Monoxide Tips
When it comes to discovering dangerous carbon monoxide levels in your home, a carbon monoxide detector is crucial. In fact, having a CO detector installed on every level of your home is recommended. Check out the following tips to make sure your CO detector is working efficiently.
- To ensure that your CO detector is working properly, push the “TEST” button at least once a month.
- Have a professional inspect your CO detector at least once a year.
Duct Cleaning Tips
There is a vast amount of ductwork in your home designed to distribute and clean the air that you breathe. Since the ducts are located out of sight, it’s easy to forget all about duct cleaning and vent maintenance. Just remember that the air duct system in your home is crucial to the indoor air quality, and it’s important to maintain it regularly.
- To improve the air quality in your home and prolong the life of your HVAC equipment, make sure that you clean your ducts at least once every five years, or as needed.
When you need experienced, dependable duct cleaning professionals, contact the experts at Constellation Home. We offer the most reliable HVAC services in the Baltimore area.