What to Know When Purchasing an Air Conditioning & Heating System
Air Conditioning & Heating equipment is the largest energy user in your home. That’s why it’s important to know what efficiency, warranty and financing options are available to you before investing in new equipment. Our Energy & Comfort Consultants will help you find the best system for your home and budget, whether you’re looking for a high-efficiency system or a more budget-friendly option.
If you answer “Yes” to any of the following questions, it may be time for a system upgrade.
- Are your cooling and heating bills higher than they used to be?
- Does your air conditioning and heating system breakdown often?
- Does the furnace short-cycle (consistently turn off and on) in the winter?
- Does the air conditioner or heat pump continuously run in the summer?
- Do you notice any rooms in your home that are always too hot or too cold?
- Is the cooling or heating system too noisy?
Contact us today to speak with a professional about buying air conditioning and heating equipment.
What to Consider When Buying Air Conditioning & Heating Equipment
Before making a final buying decision, it’s important to take the following factors into consideration.
- Type: Not every home requires the same cooling or heating equipment for optimal comfort and efficiency. Therefore, you must determine what kind of HVAC equipment is most appropriate for your home. For cooling, options include a central air conditioning unit; for heating, options include furnaces and boilers; and for combined cooling and heating equipment, consider a heat pump.
- Fuel Source: Electricity, natural gas, propane, oil and geothermal energy are the primary cooling and heating fuel sources. The type of fuel your home uses affects your equipment options, efficiency ratings, and your monthly energy bill.
- Size: The size of your system can have a significant impact on your comfort. A unit that is too large is prone to short-cycling, which can shorten the system’s life. If a unit is too small, it will run constantly and have difficulty satisfying your comfort needs.
- Warranty: A manufacturer warranty provides parts and labor coverage in the event of an equipment malfunction. A warranty can also provide invaluable peace of mind.
- Accessories: Programmable thermostats, whole-house humidifiers, whole-house air cleaners, duct cleaning and carbon monoxide detectors can enhance the health effects, safety, and efficiency of your equipment.