Our home appliances make our lives easier. But as equipment ages, its efficiency declines while its operating costs rise. Eventually you’ll have to decide whether to repair or replace the appliance. Cost implications and timing can make this a rather tough decision. This guide can help you determine what the best option may be.
Why You Should Replace:
- High repair costs. If the cost of repairing the equipment is more than 50% of the cost of replacing it with a new model, investing in new equipment may be the way to go.
- Age of the equipment. If the age of the system has surpassed its average life expectancy, the repair may not adequately extend the life of the equipment.
- Service reliability issues. Has the system been unreliable or already undergone numerous repairs? Then replacing the equipment may be the best option.
- Improved energy efficiency. Newer appliances may have better energy efficiency ratings. Compare the annual savings of the new model to the cost of running the old model. Improved efficiency may help the new equipment pay for itself over a short period of time.
- No repair coverage. Check to see if the equipment is covered by a manufacturer’s warranty or service contract, which would cover the costs of repair.
- Unavailability of replacement parts. As equipment ages, replacement parts may be more difficult to find.
Why You Should Repair:
- Repair costs are reasonable. One general rule of thumb identifies “reasonable” as “less than 50% of the cost” of a new model.
- Equipment has serviceable years left. Based upon the equipment’s average life expectancy, it has enough service years remaining to justify the repair.
- The problem is covered. The equipment may still be under a manufacturer’s warranty or service contract that covers the failed part and/or labor.
- Consistent reliability and operation. If the system has been reliable, or if you particularly like the model and features, then repairing the equipment may be the best option.
Whether your old equipment is broken, or you’re looking to increase the operating efficiency of your home, Constellation Home is here to help.